Benefits Of Sun Salutations
Salute the Sun
Sun Salutations, or Surya Namaskar, can be a complete practice in and of itself. The practice is devoted to the worship of the Sun, the provider of energy and intellect. Sun Salutations have multiple mental and physical benefits. These 12 poses, linked in a series, can lengthen and strengthen, flex and extend many of the main muscles of the body while distributing the prana flow throughout the system. In only ten minutes you can achieve a low impact workout that combines both resistance and cardiovascular training.
Regular practice of Sun Salutation benefits your body with:
- Reduces depression, anxiety and stress by reducing key markers like cortisol
- Stretches and tones your muscles keeping them supple and flexible
- Enhances concentration and intuition
- Burns excess calories and tones the body
- Regulates endocrinal system leading to better metabolism, absorption of nutrition and elimination of toxins
- Helps you look young through better cell rejuvenation
- Excellent alternative to caffeine and other stimulants
- Calms the mind and helps get better sleep
- Increases the quantity of “good mood” neurotransmitters like Serotonin
- Improves posture, flexibility and balance and stability of mind
In addition to the general health benefits associated with performing Sun Salutation, each of the yoga poses in the series provides specific health benefits. For more details on the benefits of each pose visit “Sun Salutations for Beginners.”
Over time, Surya Namaskar will help you achieve a sense of well-being and purpose.